In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, and in light of the global pandemic, Conservation Foundation of the Gulf Coast invites you to join in a virtual Earth Day Backyard BioBlitz on Wednesday, April 22, from 8 am to 8 pm. A BioBlitz is an event that focuses on finding and identifying as many species as possible in a specific area over a specific period of time. As a way to honor our earth’s precious resources, residents are invited to help celebrate and document the amazing plants and animals that call Sarasota County home. During this 12-hour virtual event, participants will submit their nature observations to the online resource iNaturalist.
Kids, parents, educators, scientists, nature-lovers, photographers, and everyone in between are invited to get outside (safely) and share what they see! Together, participants will find and identify as many species as possible to get a snapshot of Sarasota County’s biodiversity. Conservation Foundation will be active on Facebook throughout the day and educators from multiple environmental organizations will share activities, information, and videos as part of the Earth Day fun! Visit our Earth Day Backyard BioBlitz on Facebook.
How to Participate:
1. Log In or Sign Up for iNaturalist (www.inaturalist.org).
2. Download the iNaturalist App to your Smartphone (recommended) App for iOS (Apple products) or App for Android, or learn how to upload your camera photos to the iNaturalist website (www.inaturalist.org/pages/getting+started#web).
3. Open the Earth Day Backyard BioBlitz project page: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/earth-day-backyard-bioblitz
4. Click on the JOIN Button in the upper right of the project page so you can easily navigate back to the project from your iNaturalist home page.
5. Take photos and upload them to iNaturalist! The project will update in live time as observations are submitted the day of the event, so check in regularly to track progress!